Tuesday, December 09, 2008

My Sony Vaio Goes Back to the Shop... Again!

When I came back to school 3 years ago to start work on my PhD, I bought a Sony computer with the hopes of it lasting me through school. My first year, I had to have six new motherboards, three LCD screens, two hard drives, and two DVD players replaced in it before Sony finally decided to scrap it and swap it out for a TX-750 to try to compensate me for my troubles. Unfortunately, it didn't prove to be much better and after having to send that in to the shop too, I finally decided to get a Lenovo ThinkPad -- something I knew would be good quality. (A year-and-a-half later and it's been completely trouble-free so far.)

After getting my Lenovo, I hadn't touched my Sony much since it's last trip to the shop. As I was pondering getting a netbook, I decided to give the Sony another try only to discover it freezes for five minutes and then crashes every time it comes out of suspend mode. After I tried reinstalling XP twice and spent a few hours online and on the phone with Sony tech support, I sent it back to the repair shop last Friday. (I got a 4-year extended warranty when I bought it.) Fortunately, unlike in times past, my Sony is no longer my main computer and I can get along fine without it.

I will say the experience of dealing with Sony's tech support has improved compared to a couple years ago, but I am incredibly disappointed to still be having issues like this with the system. It's likely been a problem since it last came back from the shop -- I just hadn't used it enough to notice. We'll see how long it takes them to turn it around this time.

My next computer will likely either be an Apple, a tablet PC, or a netbook. (Hopefully, a netbook tablet made by Apple.) It will never again be a Sony. Owning two of their laptops has been by far the worst electronics experience of my life -- affecting my grades, my budget, and (at times) my mental health during my first two years of school.

If you're thinking of getting a laptop, I cannot recommend against buying a Sony strongly enough.

Here is a record of some of my experience:

No comments: