Sunday, April 16, 2006

The Troubles With Sony

My Sony laptop has had another major problem and is now only booting-up in safe mode. Looks like the graphics card has failed yet again. (I’m already on my 4th motherboard, 2nd hard drive, 2nd display screen and now the DVD burner isn’t working.) I spoke to a very nice lady at Sony tech support today and she put in a request for this to be reviewed under their “lemon review”. If all goes well, Sony may either reimburse me for what I paid for this or replace it with a new machine.

If Sony won’t replace my laptop, it’s time for me to do so on my own. It already affected my grades by breaking down during finals last semester. I can’t afford another situation like that. A full reimbursement by Sony would be absolutely wonderful! Should hear back from them on Monday or Tuesday. I’ll keep you posted on what I hear...

1 comment:

root said...

Sorry to hear that (again!) Brian. That thing must be cursed....

Not sure if I'd be quick to ask for a replacement in your situation given the troubles you've had already. In your situation I'd be pretty soured on the idea of using Sony laptops. I for one will definitely take the woes you've had into account in the future.

Reminds me of the time an acquaintence of the family found a chicken leg (yes, I said "a chicken leg") in a jar of spaghetti sauce. I heard - and this admittedly may be apocryphal - that they promptly offered a month's supply of the spaghetti sauce; I wouldn't have accepted.

Good luck with that, though!

- Tom

(PS - hope you're having a good break)