Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Sony TX750

I got a phone call from Sony today and after a year of problems with my S260 laptop (I've had a total of six motherboards, three LCD screens, two hard drives, etc.), they have finally decided to replace it with a brand new TX750 -- their lightest, smallest laptop yet.

I was hoping for a refund, but barring that, this is probably the next best thing. Reviews of the laptop indicate it can get up to 6 hours of battery life. This ought to serve me well in lectures and seminars. (Most of my classes are 3 hours long.) The unit weighs 2.76 pounds, has an 11-inch screen, 80 GB hard drive, 1 GB of RAM, and built in dual-sided DVD-burner. One of the coolest features is that it can turn on to watch DVDs without having to boot-up Windows. The main thing that concerns me is the fragility of the screen. (The screen's the thickness of 4 credit cards stacked on top of each other.)

Despite all the computer problems I've been having over the last year, I sincerely appreciate Sony working with me to come to this solution. If I can avoid all the troubles I had with my last laptop, I'm hoping this little one will get me through the rest of my PhD.



Here are some reviews:

3 comments:

Ali Hasanain said...

That's really cool. My tools of choice for the prelims however, are still Romer and Snowdon.

You've gotta show it off when it gets here or after the prelims, whichever comes later!

Brian Hollar said...

Thanks for the comment, Angela! I won't get my TX in until next week sometime -- probably Thursday or Friday. I'll post some thoughts on it after I get a chance to play with it a bit. Other than heat issues, how do you like it? Do you find the keyboard and screen size large enough to be usable? Any concerns with the thinness of the screen?

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just returned the laptop that i GOT FOR X-MAS and am in the market for a new one. I saw the TX in a store and was impressed with the size and layout and design. I am looking for a good light travel laptop. Angela, did you order yours online?