Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy Independence Day!

Today is the day celebrating the birth of America as a nation. It is a day of sharing hot dogs and hamburgers with friends and families, watching fireworks, and remembering the ideals of liberty that Americans fought and died for starting 231 years ago. In many ways America is a very young nation, but it is also a great one and a country I am proud to call home.

Two years ago today, my dad and I were driving from Phoenix, Arizona to Moab, Utah on our trip across the US, listening to the 1776 audiobook. The audiobook was excellent and a vivid story detailing the bravery and sacrifices many of America's Founding Fathers made for the cause of freedom.

Thinking about America's beginnings makes me want to dig more into my own family history. We believe we have an ancestor who fought in the American Revolution as part of Flying Camp Battalion. It makes me proud to think I may have a relative who played a small role in the founding of America. It also challenges me to think of how I can best make a positive contribution to my country and to the world. Right now, I believe it is by pursuing an academic career in law and economics in the pursuit of understanding and defending liberty.

Today is an excellent day to read the Declaration of Independence (or you can listen to it) and reflect on the ideals and values it represents. If you live in the DC area, you can see the actual Declaration of Independence at the National Archives today from 10 AM to 7 PM.

There are also a number of other events going on today in Washington, DC including:

I went to see the concert and fireworks in DC last year and highly recommend them both. Here is a picture I took of the fireworks:

You can see more of my photos from last year here.

I have traveled the world over (7 continents, 28 countries, and all 50 states so far) and, as much as I love so many of the other countries around the world, there is no other place I would rather live.

May God bless America!

Please join me today in praying for our country and for the advancement of freedom and justice around the world.

1 comment:

Triya said...

Happy Independence Day Brian! :)