Monday, May 28, 2007

Happy Memorial Day


I've been watching some episodes of Band of Brothers on the History Channel. It is a 10-part miniseries detailing the experiences of East Company, 506th Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division, US Army who parachuted into France on D-Day. It is based on interviews with survivors of East Company and documents their liberation of a Nazi concentration camp and their capturing of Hitler's Eagle's Nest in the German Alps.

On my last trip to Germany, I visited the Dachau concentration camp and Eagle's Nest. While watching Band of Brothers, I couldn't help but feel a sense of pride in the US troops for their role in the liberation of the Jews during World War II and the sadness of the Holocaust. I can't help but think of the stark contrast between what our troops experienced over there in 1944-45 and my experiences there as a tourist. It makes me thankful for their actions and for the peace that we now have.

I also received an e-mail from my father this morning giving me some more info on several of my ancestors -- one who served in the American Revolution as a private in "Flying Camp" in Maryland. (Which may have been in the town I was born in -- Frederick, MD.) My great-great-grandfather (who I mentioned last week) served in the Confederate Army from the beginning of the Civil War and apparently was present at the Appomattox Courthouse when General Robert E. Lee surrendered to General Ulysses S. Grant, ending the war. I also had another great-great-grandfather who fought in the Union. Grandma used to tell me stories he told her about his experiences in the Civil War. (He was captured by the Confederates and was nearly killed.) I am thankful for both my ancestors' service to our country and for their survival. (Not much in history would have had to change for me not to be here.) Knowing of their service and my family history helps me to feel more connected to the history of our country.

I am incredibly thankful for sacrifices of all the men and women who served and died to make America what it is today. Despite our many imperfections, I beleive America is a great country and that the world is a better place because we exist. Our ideals of liberty and individual rights continue to inspire many around the world in the cause of freedom.

I think Peter Collier gets it right when he says:

We're the land of the free for one reason only: We're also the home of the brave.

Read the rest of Collier's excellent article. Also read more thoughts on Memorial Day here.

Here is a Memorial Day website and a prayer for today.

Please keep our troops and those who have lost loved ones who served in our military in your thoughts and prayers today. Here is a list of American servicemen and women who have lost their lives in recent conflicts.

No comments: