Sunday, March 19, 2006

Getting Into GMU's Econ PhD Program?

GMU Professor Pete Boettke discusses "What Does It Take to Get Into GMU's Econ PhD Program?" (emphasis mine):
Economics is obviously a very competitive field and it doesn't get any easier after admission to a PhD program. The market for academic jobs in economics is also very competitive and requires those competing for these positions to really distinguish themselves.

Is it all worth it?

Personally, I can not think of a better way to make a living.
Read all of Pete's post. It's very good!

I definitely have to agree with Pete -- I can't think of a better way to make a living. This is only my first year in GMU's PhD program and I have to say, I have never been this happy about what I've been doing vocationally. I initially got interested in economics after having traveled to a number of developing countries and then reading a few books by Steven Landsburg and Milton Friedman. These books got me thinking about the conditions I had seen in these countries and how they were influenced by economic and political incentives. I quickly became convinced that economics offers the best explanation of anything I know for the disparity in the wealth of nations. Needless to say, this got me hooked. The more I read, the more I also became a firm believer in the virtues of liberty and the free-market as the best way of organizing productive human behavior.

Coming to GMU has been an amazing experience for me. I currently work at the Mercatus Center, researching economic development in Africa with Karol Boudreaux (who is currently in Rwanda). It has been great to get plugged in immediately into developmental economics, the issue that initially got me interested in economics.

I am also learning about both micro- and macro- economics and analytical tools for better understanding economic phenomenon. I have been able to attend seminars on diverse issues such as experimental economics, public choice, economic development, philosophy of economics, law and economics, economics of religion and more. In my 7 months here, I've met several Nobel Laureates, had long conversations with Gordon Tullock, learned about game theory, the Solow growth model and even had a chance to eat Chinese food with Tyler Cowen.

This has also been the most intellectually challenging experience of my life. It's been a little tougher than I thought to get my mind used to being back in school after having worked as an engineer for a number of years. Despite the challenges, I've never felt as excited about a topic I've studied or the direction I'm heading. Both my professors and my classmates are top-notch and I don't think I've ever been in an environment constantly surrounded by such interesting people before.

I love it here at GMU and can't think of anyplace I'd rather be!

Read more of my thoughts about why I love GMU here.

1 comment:

David said...

That's a unique way to get intrested in economics! I just had to fill a general ed requirement.