Wednesday, September 02, 2009

1 in 5 Notebooks Shipped Is A Netbook

Actually, it's a little more than that:



I was just noticing in my Criminal Procedure class the other day how many of the other law students in class were using netbooks. Given the weight of our case books, it's no wonder people are looking to cut down on the size and weight of the computers they carry... not to mention their impressively low price.

If you're in the market for a netbook, here are some nice tips for shopping for one. (HT Brad Linder)

LAPTOP's Netbook Buyer's Guide Video from LAPTOP Magazine on Vimeo.

I'm still happy with my Asus Eee 901, but agree with the guy in the video that 10-inch models are probably better for most people. (I can touch-type on my netbook's keyboard, but it is tiny!) I also think that most people should go for a netbook with a six-cell battery. I can often squeeze over 7 hours out of my netbook and it's wonderful not having to worry about plugging it when I'm on the go or in class. I also have an external monitor and keyboard I can hook it up to in my office at school -- effectively turning it into a low-powered desktop.

If your primary use of a computer is surfing the web or running word processors, spreadsheets, and presentation programs, a netbook is probably more than enough computer for you. Given their size, weight, battery life, and price -- it's no wonder these little guys are selling like hotcakes.

No comments: