Friday, September 26, 2008

Netflix Just Keeps Getting Better

I'm still in my free two-week trial of Netflix, but am almost certain to keep my subscription. I've already onto my third NUMB3RS DVD and watched Into the Wild with Triya on Friday. I just got two more DVDs in the mail yesterday. I've also been able to use the online streaming service to watch several episodes of the original Battlestar Galactica and Quantum Leap, and a couple cartoons. (Hmm... as I'm writing this, I'm realizing just how much I've been watching the last 12 days.)

What's really great is that it just keeps getting better:
Netflix has just inked deals with CBS and Disney to start adding shows to its streaming service the day after they air. The shows will include crime dramas your parents like such as CSI and NCIS as well as shows your younger cousins like such as Hannah Montana and The Suite Life of Zack & Cody. But more exciting than the specific shows is the precedent this sets: yet another reason to cancel cable.

If Netflix keeps this up and adds more shows that will be available the day after they air, there will be even fewer reasons to keep paying ungodly sums of money to Comcast or Time Warner for cable TV. Instead, you'll be able to fire up your Roku or Xbox 360 to watch whatever shows you want. What you're looking at is the future of television, my friends: delivered on demand over the internet to a number of different devices. These are just the clunky first steps, but its inevitable, and it's awesome.

Keep it up, Netflix. We're rooting for you. [WSJ via All Things D]

We are indeed!

Netflix also just added Heroes to the next-day streaming mix. Wish I would have known that before watching the season premier online a couple days ago.

Did I ever mention I love technology?

P.S. -- If you subscribe to Netflix and want to watch streaming video on your television, you can buy a Roku receiver for $100 and you're all set.

No comments: