Thursday, August 23, 2007

Arlington: A Walker’s Paradise

One of the best things about my recent move to Arlington has been the ability to walk to just about anything I need. School, work, the Metro, the grocery store, movie theater, shopping mall, the Apple Store, Barnes and Noble, and dozens and dozens of restaurants are all within a 15-20 minute walk for me. I even walked home from the White House once. For the first time in my life, I could easily get by without a car. (Although when I do want to drive, I live just a few blocks from I-66, which makes driving places very convenient when it's not rush hour.)

This is my first time ever living in a truly urban environment and I love it! Not only is everything incredibly convenient, but walking is giving me much more exercise than before and it feels great. With the grocery store, restaurants, and convenience stores virtually on my doorstep, I've also made it a point to keep very little food (especially snacks and junk food) stockpiled at home. This has been helping me cut back on my food intake as well and forcing me to exercise a bit anytime I want to eat.

According to Walk Score, I am just a few points away from living in a walker's paradise. That's exactly what Arlington feels like to me. It feels as though I suddenly have the world at my doorsteps – especially with the Metro only two blocks away.

(HT Unclutterer)

No comments: