Sunday, August 05, 2007

Citywalk!


No, not the one in Orlando. Today I decided to do some exploring of DC on foot to try to get more familiar with the city. I started off taking the Metro into Rosslyn and walking across the Francis Scott Key Memorial Bridge into Georgetown. After grabbing some coffee and a croissant, I explored the shops in the area, including going to a Design Within Reach store for my first time. The prices there certainly made me feel like riff-raff!

After leaving Georgetown, I walked over to DuPont Circle and found a cool futon I'm thinking about getting for my new room.


From there, I made my way down towards a bookstore near K Street where I found Tyler Cowen's new book, Discover Your Inner Economist. I took a break from my exploration and before I knew it had read half of the book! I will buy a copy soon and finish it up. I highly recommend it!

After pulling myself away from the bookstore, I grabbed a quick dinner at Subway and then walked over to the White House and then over to the Lincoln Memorial. I studied public choice both places while looking over the White House and Capitol Building. There seemed something poetic about studying the economics of politics in the heart of DC. (I have an upcoming field exam in it on August 25th.)

I decided to walk home from the Lincoln Memorial, heading across the Arlington Memorial Bridge to the Arlington Cemetery, seeing the Iwo Jima Memorial for my first time. I then hiked over towards the Rosslyn Metro Station and from there it was a straight (but long) walk down Wilson towards home.

By the time I got home, I had walked over 10 miles! (Several more miles than I realized.) I had also read over 100 pages of Tyler Cowen's new book, several chapters of To Kill A Mockingbird (it is recommended reading for law school), and ~ 30 pages of Public Choice III. All in all it was a great day, but I am exhausted in both mind and body. I am very much looking forward to a good night's sleep!

No comments: