Friday, September 18, 2009

Students Can Buy and Download Windows 7 for $29

James Kendrick:
Our buddy Xavier at notebooks.com uncovered a really nice deal for Windows 7 for students with a .EDU email address. Now until January 3 of next year, the lucky qualifiers can snag a copy of Windows 7 for only $29 come Oct.22, the date of the general availability. This deal is awfully sweet, not only for the low price, but because the copy of Windows 7 is downloaded. This is the first time I’ve heard of Microsoft offering up a download copy of a Windows final version to the public. To meet the offer requirements here’s all you need to do:

1. Check that your PC can run Windows 7 with the Windows Upgrade Advisor.
2. Enter your college/university email address.
3. If you’re eligible, you’ll receive an email with purchase details.
4. Click on the link provided in the email to proceed with your purchase.
5. Purchase your license/product key.
6. Checkout and download!

My Thinkpad is currently in the repair shop, getting tested because it has been running increasingly slowly for months now. (I've tried re-installing Vista and XP and neither have fixed the issues I'm having -- making me think it is a hardware related issue. Unfortunately, the repair folks haven't been able to find anything wrong with the hardware so far.) As soon as my Thinkpad comes back and Windows 7 becomes available, I plan on installing it and giving it a shot. For only $29, I can't think of any reason not to.

No comments: