Monday, September 28, 2009

Is Certainty Ridiculous?

Ali is starting a new blog:
I don't know if it is possible to be absolutely certain about anything, but we must, and do accept thresholds beyond which we act without doubt. In western law, this is articulated as the Standard of Proof: we may not be absolutely certain someone committed a crime, but we can be certain enough to punish them, and even award them a sentence of death. Similarly, we may not have absolute certainty about the laws of mechanics, but we can be certain enough to construct machines, like planes and ships and cranes, the failure of which would kill millions.

We can reach certainty. This should be our goal. It is not inconsistent with the scientific method.

Therefore, and with a heavy heart given my attachment to [Nothing Adds Up], I've decided to write under a different title. I'm planning on switching in a week, or whenever I like a title enough, whichever comes first.

I'm open to suggestions about a new title, so please leave me some in the comment section.
If you have any good ideas for a title, please visit his blog and leave a comment.

I look forward to reading it and seeing what he comes up with.

No comments: