Could you simplify your possessions to fit in the trunk of a car? Which ones would you take?This is an interesting question and one I think about every time I move or travel. (For the record, I'm in the middle of a move to a new studio apartment and am out in Santa Fe for a month, living on only what I could fit into my carry-on luggage.)
If I had to fit everything in a car trunk, I'd abandon all my furniture, many of my clothes, my external computer monitor, etc. Here's a shortlist of what I would keep:
- My laptop, netbook, and external hard drive(s).
- My Kindle and MP3 player.
- A small box of souvenirs I've picked up from my travels around the world, plus a couple of sentimental items.
- My travel pack full of my favorite clothes. (Mostly what I've brought to Santa Fe plus a few additional items, such as a navy blazer.)
- A box or two of my favorite books and a list of my all the books in my current library.
- My Leatherman, my grandpa's tape measure, and maybe a couple other small tools.
- A few choice files and documents.
- My cell phone.
- My camera gear.
- My therma-rest and maybe my tent and a few other pieces of camping gear.
- My messenger bag and Day Pack.
How about you? What would you keep if you were limited to only what could fit in the trunk of your car?