Thursday, May 28, 2009

In Praise of Southwest Airlines

I called my 93-year-old Aunt Ruth yesterday to see how she was doing. As usual, she's doing fine, but kept asking me when I was going to visit again. (I just visited her in Kansas City earlier this month.) My parents are stopping by to see Aunt Ruth next week on their way back from a road trip out west. Aunt Ruth wished we could all be together. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of moving to a new apartment and am flying out to Santa Fe, New Mexico for a month of summer school.

After I got off the phone with Aunt Ruth, I started thinking and wondered how much it would cost to change my itinerary to fly through Kansas City on my way out. It took a couple of phone calls to Southwest and to family, but I was able to change my flights and get an unexpected three night visit in Kansas City with Aunt Ruth and my parents for only $90 more!

Southwest Airlines is the first airline I've ever flown that doesn't charge any fee for changing my itinerary and their staff was incredibly friendly and helpful in making this happen. It was the easiest time I've ever had making a change to a reservation. Not only that, but each time I called I was informed of how long I would have to hold and given the option to have Southwest call me back when my turn came up. (A feature I took advantage of.) Rather than having the inconvenience of listening to music while waiting on hold, I was able to hang up, do other things, and wait for them to call me back. Absolutely brilliant! Southwest has certainly earned my future business.

This will be my second time visiting Aunt Ruth in a month. After years of her spoiling me, it's time for me to return the favor.

1 comment:

Triya said...

Yup! The best airlines around. Make sure you check in 24 hours in advance to get the best seats.I do not travel any other carrier on domestic flights.