Friday, February 20, 2009

The Daily Dozen

  1. Another man who is happy with his Alphasmart Neo. Here are more of his thoughts. I still love mine. Read my thoughts on it here.
  2. The power of amateur content: "Publishers have been telling each other for years that eventually people will tire of being able to produce and share amateur content, rather than just consuming professional content, but the users don’t seem to have gotten that memo."
  3. Paying doctors for better results?
  4. Packing your gadgetry for travel to faraway lands. This guy uses this as his bag of choice, a bag I recently said would be the one I'd probably get if I wanted to start traveling lighter. On second thought, this might make me wait a bit to see what's coming next.
  5. What really ended the Great Depression? "Megan McArdle is on a roll discussing what we do, and do not, know about what really ended the Great Depression. See here, here and here. These posts remind me why she is one of my favorite bloggers." She's one of my favorites too.
  6. Why didn't I think of that? Solar powered batteries with a design so simple, it's brilliant.
  7. How to pack for a semester abroad.
  8. The End of Lawyers? "In Mr. Susskind's vision of the future, small law firms that dispense customized legal advice will be pushed out of business by technology-savvy and more nimble firms that dispense run-of-the-mill advice and legal documents through websites. Larger law firms will evolve into commercial enterprises with vast stables of legal, accounting and other experts geared to preventing and managing clients' legal risks. These big firms will outsource basic legal services to cheaper quasi-legal experts and they will build retail kiosks or websites that allow clients to download regulatory expertise and draft legal documents any hour of the day."
  9. The stuck Antarctic cruise ship I mentioned yesterday was freed by high tides.
  10. Asus to stop production on its 8.9-inch Eee PCs? I think that's a shame. I love the size and weight of my Eee 901. It has the perfect size, weight, and battery life for travel and for bringing with me when I'm out an about. Since buying my Eee, I rarely bring my ThinkPad to school with me anymore. I'll admit the keyboard is a bit cramped, but the trade-offs are well worth it.
  11. Developing manly courage.
  12. Quote of the Day: "Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand." -- Putt's Law

No comments: