Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Think Different – Buy a Bigger Envelope!



Do you really need that new computer -- or just a bigger envelope?
1) No technology is going into debt for.
2) If it ain't broke, don't throw $1800 away.
3) Don't try to impress with new toys.
4) Buy it next year instead.
5) Plan an upgrade cycle.
Also, 3 quick tips to prevent impulse buying:
1) Wait 2 months. If the thing you want so badly now still seems like such a good idea 60 days later, and you have the cash in the bank, then buy it.

2) Make a joke of it. Actually go out and buy a monstrous envelope – the biggest you can find – for your regular MacBook or other laptop. I’m serious. Carry it around, and when someone does pull their shiny new MacBook Air out, calmly lean over, take a quick look and say, “That’s nice. Look – I just bought a bigger envelope!” Then nod towards your envelope, and don’t say another word until they’re crying, laughing, moving away from you to the next free seat, or a mixture of all three.

3) Ask yourself the sobering question: What would my Girlfriend/Boyfriend/Husband/Wife/Mum/Dad say? In the old days of the younger, crazier Nick, this actually prevented me buying things several times. The simple thought of having to explain to someone I care about why I’ve spent thousands of pounds (I’m British) on something shiny when I have a perfectly good one already has made me walk away several times.
All of this is advice I would do well to heed the next time I think about buying a new gadget.

No comments: