Monday, October 27, 2008

My Latest Computer Set-Up



I was playing around with my computer set-up last night and this is what I came up with. I'm using Synergy so I can use the mouse and keyboard on my Sony TX-750 to control my Lenovo X61 ThinkPad while it's in tablet mode. I have the ThinkPad sitting on a bookstand so I can draw on it with my stylus. The ThinkPad is also hooked-up to my 24" HP monitor. My TV-tuner is connected to the Sony.

One of the best parts about this set-up (besides the monster screen) is being able to have simultaneous access to a keyboard, mouse, and stylus and having the screen on the right to draw on and read/edit PDF files in portrait mode. I need to figure out a better way to secure the ThinkPad to the stand, but think this layout is a keeper.

I had been using my AlphaSmart Neo as an external keyboard, but discovered doing so drains the batteries. I'm going to try the set-up above for a bit and may eventually move back to the Neo. I do really like the extra screen space I get with my Sony and the having the additional tiny screen is great for monitoring e-mail. This configuration also gives me access to both a touchpad and mouse.

In the photo above, I have GMail, a TV window, and Notepad open on the Sony, Windows Journal open on the touchscreen, and two web pages side-by-side on the 24" monitor. The only thing missing is a MacBook! :)

No comments: