Saturday, October 25, 2008

Get $50 Off the Amazon Kindle



The Kindle just became Oprah's favorite gadget. Amazon's offering $50 off for anyone who enters the discount code OPRAHWINFREY between now and November 1st. Not a bad deal at all.

This is tempting, but I wonder if it's Amazon's way of trying to get rid of inventory before releasing the Kindle 2.0? I'm impressed with the Kindle's functionality, but not so much with the physical design. I think I'd rather wait for the next version, but do want to get one soon.

With Sony's new eReader due out next month, hopefully that will put pressure on Amazon to release a new Kindle. Priced at $400, however, I don't know what Sony is thinking when you can get a Kindle with wireless connectivity for $359 (now $309 with the Oprah discount). Sony's pricing strategy is almost as bizzare as the Kindle's physical design.

(HT Gizmodo)

4 comments:

Ali Hasanain said...

I don't like the next Kindle. It's waaay too big compared to the outgoing model, but the screen is the same. And it's too generic-looking

thinking said...

I have to say that I agree with Ali...if those pics of the next Kindle are valid, I'm not that impressed.

And I do like the idea of the scroll wheel on the current Kindle, which disappears on the rumored next design.

As to them releasing Kindle 2.0...rumors I've read hint its more likely to be introduced sometime next year.

Plus, with the state of the economy, I'd say that there's a good chance that Amazon would rather sell the existing model at a lower price, rather than a new model with a higher price tag.

If Amazon is going to release the new Kindle, they have to do it soon, as the window for new releases for the holiday season kind of ends in early November.

thinking said...

A couple of questions for the author of this blog:

1) is that picture representative of where you would be reading your Kindle?

2) If given a choice between the new Macbook or the Kindle, which would you rather have? I realize it's kind of Apples to Oranges, but it's still an interesting question.

Nathanael D Snow said...

target's got a sony reader for 300