Monday, May 19, 2008

My First Day of Work

I started my new job at the FTC today. It was mostly orientation --I will start working with my new group tomorrow. Based on everyone I've met so far, I think I'm really going to like working there. It's a perfect environment for me -- a good mix of lawyers and economists throughout the organization -- as well as quite a few people with ties to GMU.

A few observations:

1) I had to swear an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution -- just like the President. (I think this is the first time I've ever done this, although I may have had to when I had a summer job working for the US Army for two summers during college. I was a "child development program assistant" -- basically a fancy name for a summer-camp counselor. It was one of the funnest jobs I've ever had, getting paid to go swimming every day.)

2) Working one block away from the Smithsonian is going to be a treat. Art museums at lunch time is a definite possibility.

3) This is my first time having a 9-5 job in over 3 years! It's been much longer since I've had a job where I've had to wear a button-up shirt and tie to work every day. It actually feels kind of nice to dress-up again.

Speaking of dressing up, I was wearing a jacket and tie today. When I walked out of the office with a similarly dressed co-worker at the end of the day -- in sight of the National Archives and Smithsonian museums -- a single thought shot through my mind:

"I am a Washingtonian!"

Kind of weird and kind of fun!

1 comment:

jeremy h. said...

Since you swore to defend the Constitution, did you ask where in the Constitution the FTC is authorized?