Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Someone Broke Into My Truck!

I was studying at school until late tonight and was walking home just after 1:30 AM. When I got up near my townhouse, there were a bunch of police cars with lights on in front of our parking lot. You can imagine my surprise when I realized many of the officers were clustered around my pick-up truck with high-beam lights shining on it. Someone had just broken into it.

The officers caught the man who did it and I saw him sitting in the back of one of the police cars. I had to fill out some paperwork describing how I left the truck and the contents inside. Fortunately, I had absolutely nothing of value in the truck except for my Leatherman, which they found in the man's pocket. I also had an old key in my console that he had tried to jam into the ignition. Thankfully, it was not a key to my truck.

The robber climbed in through the pass-through window in the back of my truck and the only thing damaged was a latch to the window and some fabric he ripped off of the driver's side visor. Nothing else was missing and nothing else was damaged. The criminal threw papers and other non-valuables all around the inside of my truck, so I have a mess to clean up tomorrow morning, but as far as break-ins go, this is about as minimal as it gets.

(One of the perks about driving an older vehicle is that this kind of stuff just doesn't faze you that much... like when my truck got slammed into back in February.)

The Arlington police were extremely courteous and impressed me a lot. They came out after one of my neighbors saw the guy in my truck and called the police. I met my neighbor while he was giving a statement and it turns out he is a fellow Hokie! (Go Virginia Tech!)

I am pressing charges and will be probably have to go into court sometime in the next week. I don't know what it says about me, but I can honestly say I'm more excited about seeing criminal law in action than I am upset about my truck getting broken into.

The next time I buy a car, I will definitely have to invest in a trunk monkey!

2 comments:

Ali Hasanain said...

OMG that's terrible! The things your truck has to go through!

You're right about the trunk monkey!

Triya said...

Brian!! Thank God there was nothing valuable and that you are careful generally about no leaving valuables in your truck. I am glad no one got hurt either