Thursday, July 05, 2007

The Destruction of Tysons Corner

Tyler Cowen:

It's not quite Hurricane Katrina on the way, but I can't wrap my mind around how Tysons Corner will keep going. The plan is to take one of America's most successful "edge cities" and centrally plan it into a walkable neighborhood, yet that is to happen while five major roads -- three of them multi-lane highways -- will continue to carve up the whole area.

Have I mentioned they will build elevated rail service to Dulles Airport? This sounds quaint and European but there is already a dedicated, virtually traffic-free road to that airport, in addition to three or four totally usable back routes. The new rail line will sit atop Route 7 (the major artery), necessitating its widening and the destruction of the side and access roads which make transversing the area a workable proposition.

...

This issue has received plenty of local publicity, but I wonder how many people know that the planners soon will be destroying an American triumph? Even around here I think most people do not yet believe this is actually going to happen.

Read the whole thing.

When I was a kid, my family would rarely go to Tysons Corner in part because of all the traffic. I can't imagine how bad it will become once the government starts to "improve" the area.

No comments: