Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Travel By Hostel

Whenever I travel, I typically stay in hostels.  They are cheap, unique, social, and usually are a good place to network and find info on less touristy things to do in areas you're visiting.  Next to Japanese ryokan, they are one of my favorite ways to travel.  In most countries, I've usually been able to find lodging for $15 to $30 per night.

Hostels.com is a website I've come across before, but never used.  I plan on giving it a try on my next trip:

Hostels.com is the ultimate resource for backpacking and hostelling. We employ a team of researchers who stay in touch with travellers worldwide to continually update our database of hostels.

Hostels.com features the most comprehensive selection of hostels on the internet with almost 7,000 hostels listed. We are continually developing the site to meet your needs by enabling you to make online confirmed reservations at a growing number of these properties.

Hostels.com also provides comprehensive content to the budget and independent traveller including travel stories, a travel newsletter and a FAQ on hostelling and backpacking. Other products available for purchase online include travel insurance, rail passes, adventure tours and activities.

I'd much rather spend my money on experiences in new places than on a hotel expenses.  If you can make do with Spartan accommodations, hostels are a great way to go.  I'd never have been able to travel so much if I had stayed in regular hotels everywhere I went.  How else would I have been able to have so many misadventures?

So far I've stayed in hostels on five out of the seven continents.  I didn't need to on my trip to Africa (we went camping instead) and for some reason couldn't find one down in Antarctica...

Hattip Cool Tools

No comments: