Friday, February 05, 2010

ZAGGsparq

zaggsparq I’ve commented several times on how much I love my iPhone.  The only problem is I use it so much, I often find myself draining the battery before the day is done.  I bought a 3GJuice external battery that helps in a pinch, but find it sometimes interferes with reception and it is a little awkward to use my iPhone with the battery attached.  (Particularly if the phone is still in its case.)

I recently read a few reviews of the ZAGGsparq USB battery and must say I am impressed!  It holds enough power to recharge your iPhone at least four times.  (ZAGG advertises it’s holds 6000 mAh which actually should recharge your iPhone five times.)  ZAGGsparq has two USB ports, meaning it can recharge two USB devices simultaneously.  It also has fold-down prongs (like an Apple power adapter), meaning there is no additional cables to carry, and you can simultaneously recharge the battery and two USB devices as once.

Here is a video showing how it works:

The ZAGGsparq is 3.5x3.5x1” and weighs about 8 ounces.  It sells for $99 on the company’s website but is currently out of stock at ZAGGS website.  If I still traveled as much as I used to (20-30 flights per year), I’d buy one of these in a heartbeat.  This would also be a great companion to the iPhone for day or weekend hikes.  As a man’s recent experience in Haiti shows, sometimes an iPhone can even save a life.  (Had he had a ZAGGsparq in his camera bag, he would not have had to worry about about his power running out while he was trapped.)

duracell We are currently experiencing the start of a blizzard here in the DC area with 12-24 inches of snow expected.  Earlier today there was a brief (30-second) power outage, giving a reminder of other situations where this kind of back-up power for your cell phone could prove very handy.

If you like the idea of additional battery for your USB devices, but are looking for a cheaper price/smaller size, consider the Duracell Instant Power Charger ($20) which could recharge an iPhone once or the Satechi iCell ($60) which could recharge it 3-4 times.

See detailed reviews of the ZAGGsparq here and here.

(HT Lifehacker)

No comments: