Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Kandle for Your Kindle

kandle

A great name for what looks to be a great product:

Any book-light will work with your e-reader, but a purpose-made one will at least grip properly to the slim top of your Kindle, Sony Reader or Nook without wobbling loose. And if you own an actual Kindle, the Kandle is the perfect aesthetic match.

The clip-on LED Kandle costs $40 (current sale price $25) and folds down into a small, white, pocket-sized pod. A glance a the photos shows that it casts the usual cold light that comes from LEDs, a crying shame when all you want is the warm and cosy 3,000 Kelvin of an incandescent bulb, something easily done with a filter.

Still, as book lights go, this one looks pretty good. I remain a fan of reading in the almost-dark, choosing to believe that this will exercise my eyes (just as exerting any other muscle will improve its tone), and not destroy them as everybody in the world likes to (mistakenly) tell me. And when I’m actually in bed, I read from my iPod Touch so as not to disturb the Lady. One day, though, when I am single an almost blind, I shall buy myself a Kandle.

Kandle LED Book Light with new WideLip grip designed for the Amazon Kindle [Amazon via Oh Gizmo]

While I would probably prefer it to use normal AAA batteries, this still looks like a great accessory for your Kindle.  I purchased the Mighty Bright clip-on light soon after purchasing my Kindle and reading many positive reviews.  Unfortunately, I’ve found the Mighty Bright to be terrible for travel.  The switch is too sensitive and it continues to turn on when I have it in my bag.  I know I could always take the batteries out, but that’s not a convenient solution.  It doesn’t look like the Kandle has this problem and it’s quite a bit smaller than the Mighty Bright too.

You can buy the Kandle for $25 on Amazon.

No comments: