Thursday, December 03, 2009

Gran Torino

gran_torinoYesterday was my last day of classes for the semester and so I decided to take the night off and watch a movie, Gran Torino,  before exams start.  I’m not quite sure how I stumbled on it, but am glad I did.  It is a 2008 film starring and directed by Clint Eastwood, recognized by the American Film Institute as one of the best films of 2008.  (I’m ashamed to say I hadn’t heard of it before.)  Here is the description from Netflix (subscription required):

Curmudgeonly Korean War veteran Walt Kowalski (Clint Eastwood, who also directs) must confront his Hmong immigrant neighbors -- and his own long-held prejudices -- when the family's teenage son, Thao (Bee Vang), tries to steal Walt's beloved 1972 Gran Torino. Walt soon assumes the unlikely role of guardian angel to young Thao and his sister Sue (Ahney Her), both of whom are vulnerable to local gang influences.

I had trouble finding a trailer on YouTube that didn’t give away too much of the movie.  (I hate learning too much about a film before I watch it.)  You can watch a good, short trailer here

All I will say is that it is in large part a story about the rite of passage into manhood and is highly recommended.  It has some language, but the story is well done and Eastwood proves himself (yet again) to be a brilliant actor and director.

Ali would be particularly pleased with the special features on the DVD and what they have to say about men and their cars.  Two thumbs up!

gran_torino_car

1 comment:

Ali Hasanain said...

Hmm, so what do they have to say?