Saturday, March 14, 2009

Deal of the Day: A Tiny Windows XP Laptop for Only $280

Amazon is currently selling the Asus Eee PC 901 for $280. That's only $15 more than I paid for mine last semester -- and I bought mine used off of Craigslist. That's $80 less than what I paid for my Kindle and this gets you a full-blown Windows XP computer. It only weighs 2.5 pounds, has flash-based storage, and I can get up to about 6+ hours of battery out of it. It makes it a great travel companion or note-taking device for school. (If you can live with the tiny keyboard.)

My 901 had started slowing down a bit. I bought an external DVD drive yesterday and just finished reinstalling XP, which seems to have sped it up quite a bit. I also installing Microsoft Office on in for the first time. Between the refresh and new software, I think some new life is getting breathed into this little machine.

I remain very happy with my 901 and would heartily recommend it for someone looking for a second computer. Be aware of its limitations (only 12 GB of storage (split into two partitions) and tiny keyboard), but at this price, it's a real steal.

If you're looking for something similar without quite so many limitations, I have read good stuff about the Eee PC 1000HE. It has a bigger screen and keyboard, a 160 GB hard drive, up to 9.5 hours of battery life(!), weighs 3 pounds, and is selling on Amazon for $388.

No comments: