Friday, February 27, 2009

The Daily Dozen

  1. A review of Apple's new 17-inch MacBook Pro. I saw one of these at the Apple store yesterday. It's big! More of a portable desktop, really.
  2. Tax rates for the rich and poor.
  3. 10 reasons to buy a Kindle 2... and 10 reasons not to.
  4. The distressing gap between new and existing home sales.
  5. Megan McArdle agrees with Will Wilkinson who agrees with Ezra Klein who agrees with Ed Glaeser. The mortgage interest subsidy ought to go. I agree with them too.
  6. Why camera lenses are the real key to stunning photos. Indeed. Whenever a camera salesman tries to tell me it's the megapixels that matter, I just walk away... (And that would be about 90% of them.) The two lenses I would most love to get right now are the Nikon 18-200 mm Vibration Reduction zoom lens and Nikon's new 35mm f/1.8 Prime. I just took a bunch of pictures in low light on a church retreat last weekend. I had to scrap most of the photos because of camera shake and high ISO setting. (Fortunately, I took over 1,000 shots.) A fast lens would help solve this problem. So would a tripod.
  7. The top 100 personal finance blogs and the 100 most useful financial sites on the web.
  8. Volcano monitoring?
  9. Is Nokia going to enter the laptop industry?
  10. Did you know the Kindle 2 has Minesweeper built-in? Neither did I. Here is a list of more Kindle 2 Easter eggs.
  11. Dressing for Life's Big Events: How a man should dress for weddings, first dates, religious ceremonies and more.
  12. Gmail adds a progress bar for attachments and multi-select. I noticed the progress bar today and am elated to discover the multi-select feature too.

2 comments:

thinking said...

I'm still waiting for that in depth review of the Kindle 2 from this blog! I want my Kindle 2 review :)

thinking said...

That article on volcano monitoring is a good one.

As The Questionable Authority blog notes:
Like Palin with her "fruit fly research" complaints, or McCain's moaning about bear DNA and "overhead projectors," this is clearly another case where a Republican in the national spotlight is saying things about science that just don't make sense. I'm not sure if this is because they think that bashing science is a good way to score cheap political opponent, or if they just don't understand how any of this science ties into public policy. Both are bad; I don't know which is worse.

But it really has to stop.

I would add that the Republican party has become a very scary party led literally by people who should not be trusted with public policy.