Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Daily Dozen

  1. Leave the gadgets behind on your next trip. Believe it or not, as much as I love gadgets, I typically don't travel with many when I go overseas. Typically, I do not bring a cellphone, laptop, or MP3 player (I prefer not to isolate myself from the environment). A digital camera is a must, but beyond that, I tend to avoid bringing much that needs to be plugged in. (I did bring my laptop with me to Antarctica for storing photos and nearly ran out of space.) Nowdays, if I were to go overseas, I would likely bring my digital camera, a netbook (for storing photos), and (after it arrives) a Kindle. Other than that, I advocate leaving most of your electronics behind and enjoy your new surroundings -- you never know when you'll ever make it back. (Unfortunately, I'm not quite as good at following this philosophy when I travel domestically.)
  2. Daron Acemoglou talks with Russ Roberts about the financial crisis.
  3. The behavioral economics of the human mating system.
  4. Coping with the guilt of losing money.
  5. A tablet PC with multi-touch screen and 11-hour battery life? Bring it on!
  6. The case for 4% mortgages?
  7. Stop wishing for that amazing camera and appreciate the one you've got. And if you have a Nikon DSLR, Nikon just released a 35mm prime lens that just might help you appreciate your camera even more.
  8. Cognitive computing aims to reverse-engineer the mind.
  9. Walden and 99 other free online books every student of humanity should read.
  10. How to buy a backpack.
  11. What are three of the biggest financial mistakes?
  12. Quote of the Day: "Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." -- Mark Twain

No comments: