Monday, December 01, 2008

A Netbook as an eBook Reader?



My cousin and her husband were visiting my parents for Thanksgiving and my cousin brought her Eee PC along. As usual, I found myself quite enamored by the little device. On Friday, I went in to Panera in my hometown to do some writing for school, and I saw a man reading his Amazon Kindle. I asked him about it and he beamed when describing how much he loved it -- essentially the same reaction I've gotten from nearly everyone I've spoken to who owns one. I would love to get a Kindle myself, but think I will continue to wait for version 2.0. (Particularly seeing how Amazon is sold out until February.) Seeing the man with his Kindle in Panera after playing with my cousin's netbook started me thinking -- why not use a netbook as an eBook reader? (Apparently, I'm not the first one to have this idea.)

As I've written before, one of the biggest hang-ups I have with the current crop of eBook readers is that they don't do a good job allowing you to simply copy PDF files on to them to read. Amazon has a conversion process and Sony can read some PDF files, but I read a ton of academic articles and other PDF content that tends to be fairly graphic intensive. Most eBook readers do a very poor job rendering these kinds of files, but netbooks would be able to handle these with no problem. I've been a little wary of the original batch of netbooks as they only had ~ 2-3 hours of battery life, but new ones are coming out that get up to 6+ hours of juice . That would make for a great all-day reading companion.

I'm particularly drawn to the Asus 901, one of the smallest netbooks, for several reasons:
  • This would definitely be a secondary computer for me and not my primary one. As such, I think the trade-off for smaller size would be worth the limitation of the smaller keyboard. I'd still use my ThinkPad for any major work I'd do.
  • The tiny size would make it a fantastic travel companion for flying with only carry-on luggage.
  • Flash memory, while limited in capacity (12 GB), would mean this has no moving parts -- making it far more durable (great for travel), boot faster, and put out less noise than a similar computer with a hard drive. I could compliment the storage with a USB drive and/or SD cards if need be.
  • It has among the best battery life (up to 8 hours) of any Netbook I've seen reviewed.
  • One of the primary purposes I'd have for getting something like this would be to experiment with using it as an eBook reader. The smallest possible size and weight would be ideal for this. So would the lack of moving parts. The Asus 901 also appears to have the best viewing angle of comparable netbooks -- a feature that would be critical for reading.
The other huge selling point with me about the Asus 901 is that it also has a multi-touch trackpad -- similar to the new MacBooks:



CNET has another video review here.

I may have to seriously consider one of these -- possibly after the beginning of the year. Now if only they'd come out with a tablet version of one of these and I'd be set!

See reviews of the Eee 901 here, here, here, here, and here. You can currently buy the 12 GB XP version on Amazon for $349 and the 20 GB Linux version for $436. (What amazes me is that the XP version is currently cheaper than the Amazon Kindle which sells for $359.)

If you're looking for something a little larger, the Samsung NC10 also looks like a good system. it has a 10.2-inch screen, comprable battery life, and a larger keyboard. It sells on Amazon for $488.

6 comments:

thinking said...

A brilliant idea...I can see one drawback, though, and that is reading on a PC screen vs reading on the Kindle screen.

The Kindle screen is engineered to be easy on the eyes for extended periods of focused reading and concentration, whereas PC screens typically are not so good at that.

It is fascinating to note that Amazon is so backed up on Kindle orders...

Susan said...

The XO laptop is also an ebook reader. Unfortunately, it's not designed for adult hands.

Vidyanshu Pandey said...

I think one needs some way to measure this eye thing which ebook reader device manufacturers tout. After all this is the only USP they have over netbooks. How many hours can a "normal" human read on a netbook before he/she gets eyestrain? Compared to how many hours on a e-ink based device? Is there are a study to cover this? I use my laptop extensively, as much as maybe 6-7 hours in a day and I am fairly well adapted to it..

Jon said...

That first photo - how do we get the screen to go portrait-style?

Unknown said...

to Jon:
You can use Ctrl + Alt + arrow keys to rotate your screen.

Unknown said...

The tablet netbook: ASUS Eee PC Touch T91 would work better as an ebook reader I guess. Though, I would like to hear about their screen's outdoor (under sunlight) performance.
http://www.amazon.com/Touch-8-9-Inch-Tablet-Netbook-Battery/dp/B002GCR04Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
or maybe a viliv:
http://www.amazon.com/viliv-S5-Promotion-Express-4-8-Inch/dp/B002MZZX5S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top