Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Better and Faster Searching with keyboardr

I may have just found my new favorite search engine:
If you’ve been researching some topics you know you have to go to a load of places to get the job done. Primarily many of use use Google and Wikipedia, even if you stop there that’s two separate searches for everything you need.

Eneter Keyboardr, stage right, to give us a mashup of services to make our searches faster. It combines 5 services, Google Search, Google Blogs, Google image search, Wikipedia and Youtube, showing you top results of all on one page, that’s what I call productivity!

The most striking thing about Keyboardr is the simplicity. When you arrive at the site you get a modest search bar and a big bold clock, looks pretty great! Type year search and with all its AJAX goodness you are served the results almost instantly, from all five services.

To me having Google Search and Google Image Search results on one page is great because I need to search both places at once quite frequently and usually my search leads me to a top 5 result anyway, I can see both right there!

Another feature, and this is where the name kicks in, is the ability to navigate the results quickly with a keyboard, just use up, down, left, right and enter and you’re taken to your selected result. All quick and clean, just the way I like it.

Try keyboardr yourself here. If you like this, you'll probably also enjoy Google's new search page with GMail-style keyboard shortcuts. Iteration by iteration, the web just keeps getting better.

Here's a video showing how keyboardr works.


keyboardr.com from Julius Eckert on Vimeo.

No comments: