Friday, July 25, 2008

Rest In Peace, Randy Pausch

We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.
-- Randy Pausch
Professor Randy Pausch died today. He was 47.
Randy Pausch, the Carnegie Mellon computer science professor whose last lecture became an Internet sensation and bestselling book, has died of pancreatic cancer. He was 47.

Dr. Pausch died early today at his home in Virginia. Although Dr. Pausch was famous for his poignant, frank discussion of his impending death, he was also aggressive about seeking treatments that could prolong his life and the time he had left to spend with his wife, Jai, and their three children. A lifetime problem solver, Dr. Pausch was determined to help his wife and children cope with his death. “I haven’t found a way to clever my way out of it,'’ he told me.

Although cancer and his last lecture helped make him a celebrity, Dr. Pausch said much in his life was the same as always.

“Cancer didn’t change me at all,'’ he said. “I know lots of people talk about the life revelation. I didn’t have that. I always thought every day was a gift, but now I am looking for where to send the thank you note.'’

On the Well blog, Dr. Pausch first gave us “Words to Live By,'’ followed by a fun contest that led to advice for our kids. Most recently, he gave us “A Lesson on How to Say Goodbye” and talked about “Keeping Priorities Straight, Even at the End.”

Here is the video of Dr. Pausch's Last Lecture I originally posted five months ago:



Rest in peace, Professor Pausch. My prayers go out to your family.

(HT TaxProf Blog)

No comments: