Battlestar Galactica starts it's fourth and final season tonight at 10 PM. As I've written before, BSG is currently my favorite show on television. Joe Carter seems to agree:
Similarly, some people may attempt to dispute the indisputable fact that Battlestar Galactica is the greatest series currently on television and is, in my respects, one of the greatest shows ever. These self-deceived folks generally fall into two categories: those who have seen the show yet disagree (hence, exhibiting an inability to recognize the sublime) or those who have not yet seen the show and remain skeptical that such a claim could be true.Follow the link for more on each point. Carter continues:
Rather than attempting to educated the first group-which would require more time and patience than I possess-I will focus on explaining to the second group what they are missing.
- BSG is the best sci-fi show on television-ever.
- BSG is the best show on television about religious belief-ever.
- BSG is the best show on television about the military-ever.
Here are a few aesthetic judgments that I hold about BSG that are subjective:Well said on all points!
- Caprica Six (Tricia Helfer) is the most beautiful machine in the universe.
- Edward James Olmos and Lucy Lawless have never had better acting roles.
- Kara “Starbuck” Thrace (Katee Sackhoff) is the most intriguing military character ever on a TV show.
- Gaius Baltar (James Callis) is the most loathsome, cowardly, painful-to-watch, character ever on a TV show.
- BSG would have been better had it made a Marine one of its main characters.
- We are in the Golden Age of Television (seriously), which makes the standing of BSG all the more significant.
- No show on television has ever had a better opening sequence (see video below).
If you haven't been watching the series, you can watch this 8-minute recap to get you up to speed. See my previous posts on Battlestar Galactica.
I will be torn because NUMB3RS also starts its new season at 10 PM tonight. (NUMB3RS is one of my other favorite shows.) Fortunately BSG will be on at 10 PM and again at midnight, so I may be able to catch both.
For those who can't wait, SciFi.com just posted tonight's show on their website. So tempting....