Friday, December 14, 2007

Econ Marathon!

After finishing up my Torts exam on Tuesday night, I came home and started preparing for two back-to-back days of 4-hour econ review sessions for Professor Hazlett's Economic Foundations of Legal Studies class. It's the course I have been the teaching assistant for this semester.

On Wednesday and Thursday, the students brave enough to make it out to both sessions got to hear me fly through a 333(!) slide Power Point presentation, trying to hit on all the major topics of the semester, followed up by some great Q&A from the students. I've also had lots of one-on-one meetings with students and e-mail exchanges over the past two days. It hit me while I was preparing the presentation just how broad the topics we covered have been. This breadth is a big part of what initially drew me into economics. Here's a smattering of the topics we covered:

  • Supply and Demand
  • Taxation
  • Basic Game Theory
  • Intellectual Property
  • The Economics of Crime
  • Industrial Mergers
  • Comparative Advantage and the Benefits of Trade
  • Contracts
  • The Time Value of Money
  • and much more...

This semester has proven the old adage that says if you really want to learn something you should teach it. I don't know about the students in the class, but this has been a tremendous learning opportunity for me to underscore much of my own economic foundations. Having only taken two economics classes prior to starting GMU's PhD program, I can strongly relate to those who have found much of what we've covered this semester either intimidating or confusing.

It is now time for me to shift gears once again and start studying for my Contracts exam on Tuesday. After that, my first semester of law school will be done!

Best of luck to all of Professor Hazlett's students who are taking their final exam at noon today. It has been a pleasure going through the class with all of you and I wish you the very best!

No comments: