Monday, November 19, 2007

Another Great Visit With Aunt Ruth

DSC_7577

Dad and I are finishing up a wonderful weekend up here in Kansas City, celebrating Aunt Ruth's 92nd birthday! Aunt Ruth is my grandfather's (my father's father) sister and is the last of her generation in my family and a truly amazing woman. She shows absolutely no signs of slowing down. She still drives, lives on her own, walks quickly and for long distances, cooks, and knows how to keep her nephews and grand-nephews in line! We traveled to Alaska together last year and she is ready for to go on another cruise with me anywhere in the world as soon as I graduate. Her warm spirit, good humor, and optimism towards life are truly inspiring and it is always such a treat to come visit her. I am sad we have to head home later today.

DSC_7597

Of course, no trip to Kansas City would be complete without at least one visit to the IHOP, another to Mimi's Cafe, and many rounds of Rumikub each night:

DSC_7660

On Sunday, Aunt Ruth took us over to see a free concert at Park University. It was a great performance and the chapel the band performed in reminded me a lot of Knowles Memorial Chapel at Rollins College in Orlando.

DSC_7610

(I still can't believe how good she looks at 92!)

DSC_7617 DSC_7594

After the concert, dad and I took Aunt Ruth out for some delicious Kansas City barbeque and surprised her with some gifts. We spent the whole day just having fun, enjoying one another's company, and laughing all the way.

DSC_7628 DSC_7634

I get tickled by how much Aunt Ruth enjoys all the things she does and how active she stays. As an example, she has to drop dad and I off at the airport a little early so she can run to play bridge with her friends. Like I said, Aunt Ruth shows absolutely no signs of slowing down...

See more photos of this trip here (or view them as a slideshow).

Also be sure to read the life lessons I learned from Aunt Ruth and more about our trip to Alaska together.

P.S. -- I also had a post about Aunt Ruth learning to use a tablet PC which just got picked up by one of the top tablet PC blogs. Go Aunt Ruth!

No comments: