Monday, October 29, 2007

A Tablet PC As A Social Instrument

Welcome Gottabemobile.com readers! While you're here, be sure to check out my other Tablet PC posts and the rest of my blog.
One thing I've noticed about having a Tablet PC is that it is a much more social instrument than a regular PC. I mean this on several levels. First, because you can write and draw and the screen, it is much easier to use while engaged in conversation with someone else. Second, writing on it in slate mode is much less distracting to others during meetings and/or presentations and doesn't create the barrier between you and other people that an open laptop does. (And there are no distracting keyboard noises.) Finally, people see you writing on the screen and think it is just cool. Those who aren't too timid often ask if they can try.

To illustrate (literally!), I was doing a little homework on my tablet on a metro ride into DC tonight. (Something much easier to do on a tablet than on a laptop.) After a few stops, a couple of little girls (probably 8 or 9 years old) squeezed together into the seat with me. I was typing up an e-mail and switched over to a drawing program. I drew a couple of quick pictures on the screen so the girls could see and handed one of them the stylus so she could try. Without having to tell her what to do, she knew how to change the colors of the pen and it took about 3 seconds to show her how to erase. (Illustrating how easy it is to learn how to use these compared to a regular PC.)

Here's the picture she drew for me:



Not only did I get this cool picture, but I made a new friend too!

1 comment:

Nita said...

awww...brian, it's like etch-a-sketch! :)