Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Apple Throws a Brick at Its Customers

I wrote a few days ago that I think Apple made a bad mistake bricking people's phones. I'm not the only one to think so:

Did Sony ever brick PSPs over homebrew software? Did Microsoft ever overwrite someone’s BIOS with garbage because they detected an illegitimate Windows installation?

In light of other things Apple has done lately, such as adding an encrypted hash to the iPod database to lock out non-Apple software and disabling TV-out on the iPod unless the 3rd party accessory you’re using has an Apple authentication chip, it’s evident that Apple is well on its way to become one of the most consumer hostile tech companies.

When Steve Jobs claimed the iPhone was 5 years ahead of every other phone, was he talking about the iPhone’s revolutionary handcuffs?

Good question! Here's more:
No matter how you try to spin the problem, pushing an update that trashes your own product is not a good move. A far better solution would have been to push an update that just wouldn’t install onto unlocked iPhones. That would have been the right thing to do. Bricking them is wrong. Apple could have done this easily. It didn’t and instead chose to stamp on the little guy.

I’m also surprised and dismayed by Apple’s response so far. This quote is by Apple spokeswoman Jennifer Bowcock:

If the damage was due to use of an unauthorized software application, voiding their warranty, they should purchase a new iPhone

I guess Apple’s never heard of the old phrase “Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice …”

I've written several times how I'd love to buy an iMac. Now I'm not so sure. Will they delete all the files on my computer if I try to install something not approved by their department? I'm not sure I want my money going to a company that behaves in this way.

Apple is tasting a little sour right now. This move has done a lot to destroy goodwill they had with their customers and is much a much worse move than the iPhone rebate move was good.

I think Apple is about to find out the hard way that customer trust is something very easy to lose and very hard to gain back.

No comments: