Sunday, August 26, 2007

Heavy Seas, The Drake Passage, and Whales in Antarctica

I just watched this incredible video of the passenger ship 'Voyager' caught in heavy seas:



Believe it or not, it reminds me of our trip through the Drake Passage on my way to Antarctica a couple years ago. Our ship was going through 15-foot+ swells for about two days. Here is a video of what I am almost certain is the same ship I was on (the Professor Multanovsky) going through the passage:



Once they got to Antarctica, these people saw whales just like we did:



I can't tell you how much this video of the whales and especially the sounds of their blowholes bring back memories for me. We had a similar experience in kayaks with two whales swimming under us and hanging out with us for about 10-minutes. At one point, they got within about 20 feet of my kayak. It remains one of the most incredible experiences of my life.

Here is one of the pictures I took of our whale encounter:

imgp0704

And a couple more:

imgp0697 imgp0726

Would I brave the rough waters to go back again? I'd do so in a heartbeat!

See more photos from my trip and watch a video of me with the penguins.

1 comment:

456sapphire said...

Hi!

What species of whales is it??

Bye! ;P