Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Educating Engineers and the Law of Demand

Curious Cat quotes a recent NAE Report on engineering education:

The BS degree should be considered as a pre-engineering or “engineer in training” degree.

To which Curious Cat responds:

I am not convinced of this idea. It seems to me a BS degrees in engineering should be a full degree not some “pre” degree like pre-law. Obviously no engineering degree is an invitation to stop learning; life long learning is a requirement whether the engineering degree is earned in 4, 6, 8… years. Improving the life long learning methods is where effort should be focused in my opinion not in making the original degree take longer to earn.

I completely agree with Curious Cat. Many have been complaining that there are not currently enough engineers in the US. (I don't agree.) If there is concern of a shortage of engineers, one of the worst things you could do is to increase the price (in terms of time and money) to become one. If price to become an engineer increases, you will see even fewer students deciding to pursue the engineering profession. (Economists call this the law of demand.)

See my previous posts:

No comments: