Thursday, November 16, 2006

Milton Friedman, RIP

This is sad news. I just got an e-mail to let me know Milton Friedman died today:

Word reached us this morning that Milton Friedman has died. Friedman, who won the Nobel Prize in Ecnomics in 1976, was a giant in free-market economics--and freedom more generally--and a frequent contributor to The Wall Street Journal. Just last month he penned an op-ed lamenting Hong Kong's departure from laissez-faire economics. Back in July Tunku Varadarajan published a charming interview with Friedman and his wife, Rose. Milton Friedman was 94.

Friedman is one of my biggest heroes in economics and was one of the most persistent voices for championing liberty in the 20th Century. His books, articles, teaching, and public engagement influenced far more lives that we may ever know. His book, "Free to Choose", was one of the books that propelled me into the economics profession.

My heart and prayers go out to Friedman's family today. Particularly to Rose, his wife of 67 years.

Read more about Friedman's life and see his many articles and contributions.

See some of my previous posts on Freidman here, here, here, and here.

No comments: