Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Train Blasts Kill 170 in India

This is very sad:



At least 170 people were killed and hundreds more injured on Tuesday after a series of co-ordinated explosions ripped through Mumbai’s commuter transport network in the middle of the evening rush hour.

No warning was given for the blasts, which came within hours of a wave of explosions in Srinigar, the capital of Indian-controlled Kashmir, where a series of grenade attacks killed eight people and wounded more than two dozen.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the bombings, which echoed the attacks in Madrid in 2004 and London last year. The blasts came in quick succession – a tactic employed both by Kashmiri militants, who have repeatedly targeted India’s cities, and al-Qaeda. Intelligence sources on Tuesday night said there was a strong link between the Srinigar and Mumbai attacks.

Read a first-hand account from a Wall Street Journal reporter who witnessed one of the blasts.

Pajamas Media has a roundup on the news including:

Mumbai Help is a gathering place for Indian bloggers who are trying to coordinate help. The same for Global Voices. The Counterterrorism Blog has an accurate map of the Mumbai rail system. Mumbai Metroblogging has video from people who were there. A firsthand account from the Mumbai Marauder. “I grabbed my camera, ran towards the scene, and once there, regretted my decision.”
More roundups at Indian blogs India Uncut and Varnum and American blogs Instapundit and Gateway Pundit.

See photos from the bombing here.

My Indian friend Triya shares her thoughts:

I just got the news about seven bomb blasts in Mumbai in the metro trains during rush hour last evening (IST). I have friends and family I am trying to get in touch with, some of them I have managed to speak to, others are not answering their phones. Why would someone want to do this?
I can only imagine what those with loved ones in the area are going through right now.

India has had a special place in my heart since my visit there in 2003. Please join me in praying for the survivors and the families of the victims.

No comments: