Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Tuning In to the Olympics

Got home from class tonight just in time to watch the last few performances of Olympic ice dancing and see the Russians with the gold and the US win the silver. Still get jazzed everytime I see the US win in competitions like this. Wouldn't be right for me to feel otherwise. Congratulations to all – especially Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto, who won the first US medal in ice dancing in 30 years.

All the athletes tonight were outstanding in their skill, grace and strength and fully drew me into their routines (especially the Americans and Italians). Each performance was a beautiful display of one man and one woman showing to all the world the magnificence of what they could only accomplish by working together. As a single person, I love that as a metaphor for what a wonderful marriage ought to be like. (More thoughts on that here.)

I didn’t catch all the performances, but did see the final routines of the Russians, Americans, Ukrainians and Italians. Congratulations to all!

P.S. -- I love this shot of Belbin and Agosto. Full of confidence and poise as they enter onto the ice:

No comments: