Monday, June 09, 2008

The iPhone 3G

Apple announced the release of their new iPhone today. Here's a break-down of some of the best improvements on it:
  • Lower price. It starts at $199 for the 8 GB model and $299 for the 16 GB model. Apple continues to show its lead in both innovation and also pricing. Why can't we have more tech companies like that?
  • Faster speed. Using AT&T's 3G network, the new iPhone will be able to get data speeds approaching those of most Wi-Fi connections. Unlimited data plans will cost $30 per month, with voice starting at $39.95.
  • Built-in GPS. It integrates with Google Maps and other software developers create can interface with it as well to create location-based services.
  • Non-recessed headphone jack. This means you can use a normal pair of headphones on it (unlike the original iPhone). As Lifehacker notes, though: "This would be a good thing, if the recessed jack weren't such a stupid design move in the first place. You can't fix a mistake and call it a feature."
  • A new software development kit (SDK). This will allow developers to make a whole host of applications for the iPhone and probably mean Apple will own the handheld market for years to come. You will be able to buy and download these directly from the phone. Here is a video roundup of some of the new applications. There's even a package from TypePad that allows you to blog from your phone -- complete with pictures. Now if only Blogger would come out with software like that.
  • Scientific Calculator. Okay, so I'm a former engineer and can still get excited about seeing features like this.
  • Mobile Me. Apple is also launching a cloud-computing service that allows you to synchronize your e-mail, calendar, contacts, photos, and data between your iPhone, desktop, laptop, and Internet.
  • Exchange. It supports Exchange e-mail service for corporate e-mail accounts. Many corporate users will be pleased to see this and will help expand the iPhone's business market (invading RIM's turf).
  • International Sales. Apple plans on selling the new iPhone in 70 countries. Who knows -- if Apple keeps dropping the price on these things and if cellular networks continue to penetrate developing countries, Apple may be the one to bring $100 computing to the whole world.
A couple things I don't like:
  • No infrared port. This is something that won't affect 99% of Apple's customers, but ever since I got my AlphaSmart Neo, I've been using the IR transfer between it and my Treo several times a day, particularly for sending lengthy e-mails. Especially with the lack of a physical keyboard on the iPhone, this would be an extra plus. This is on the verge of being a dealbuster for me. (Plus it would be one more sensor for software developers to take advantage of.)
  • Camera. No improvements to the resolution of the camera and still no flash. I could easily live without the extra resolution, but the addition of a flash and/or image stabilization would mean I'd have one less piece of equipment to carry around.
  • Battery. You still can't swap out the battery or carry a spare.
Bottom Line: Unless you want something completely basic or are like me and have a special need for an IR port, I can think of little reason for anyone to buy another phone. Apple is clearly the market leader on many fronts -- price, design, innovation, customer satisfaction, hardware/software integration, and just overall coolness. As long as they don't go "bricking" these phones, Apple is virtually guaranteed market domination of handheld computing for the next few years. They would rapidly control even more of the market if people weren't already locked into cellular plans.

Will I buy one? Probably eventually, but not just yet. I have been loving the functionality I get from my Treo/Neo combination too much to give it up. If I can figure out an easy way to transfer data from the Neo to an iPhone without a computer, I may be one of the first in line. Until then, I may bide my time a bit more.

For the rest of you, the iPhone will be available in stores on July 11th.

1 comment:

GC said...

I agree that the iPhone is really a technological marvel - its user interface and the inclusion of the Safari Browser make it truly an innovative phone. Still, there are several things that are missing and keep me from taking the plunge, even at the reduced price. This is billed as the "one device that you always take with you" and "your digital life in your pocket". But its missing some things that surprise me:

Task List - a **real** to-do list manager - lets me categorize, prioritize and set due dates and then let me review those to-do's using those same criteria. And sync it back to my desktop. I know there are web based alternatives, but why do I have to go through those gyrations just to see what I need to do next.


Sync-able notes - let me create a simple text note on my desktop and sync it over to my hand held device - just simple things like meeting notes, directions, shopping lists, etc. I know I could do this by sending myself an e-mail, but that is a kludge for something that should have been included in version 1.0.

I also use a series of other applications on a daily basis - money management to record transactions, e-book reader, word processor/spreadsheet application, on-screen scribble application.
I think the issue of third party apps is still up in the air, if for no other reason, Apple's insistence of control and distribution. I would prefer a more free market approach. That has worked for both Palm and Windows Mobile.

Also, I thought you could blog with Blogger from your phone using the Mail2Blog feature. I don't blog so I don't know how effective this is, but did see it on their help pages when poking around.

Like you, I happily use a Treo 650 as well.